Saturday, August 7, 2010

I'm Straight


Few understand the torment, few can sympathize with the awful teen years, few know, really know, what it is like to hide the person you know you really are. But I am here to tell you all that there is hope, there are ways to help you so that you no longer have to feel persecuted! Okay, that last sentence may have been a little over the top.

You see, I grew up with this frizzy, curly little mop on the top of my head.

The longer this mop grew the bigger and frizzier it got (think Bozo). It was kept short for many, many reasons least of which was the fear that a spider would nest in it and give birth to all her little spider babies. 'Cause you know I would never realize it until mommy spider had to build a web to collect food for her 132 babies. It would certainly be hard to miss a webby structure. But then again...it may not have been that hard to miss. The web may have only been glimpsed when the sun hit it just right or after a summer rain. So, really, maybe I could have gone through the whole "spider episode" unscathed. I'll never know.

There were no hair products for this atrocity. Well, there probably were, but none that I or my hair dresser knew about or none that I could afford. No one had ever mentioned a Brazilian Blow Out to me (it may have had a different meaning back in the '80s). I was stuck. Stuck as an awkward teen with an even more awkward head of hair. Like I said, few really understand this.

So, when I turned 40 and my now very much informed and knowledgeable hair dresser asked me if I wanted to try straightening my hair, I laughed. "Oh, this hair can not be straightened. If you blow dry this bad boy, it will take on a life of its own and I can't be responsible for the damage that may ensue". She was not daunted.

She began. When she had finished only the bottom half of my head, I yelled at her to stop. She thought I was upset. I glanced at my reflection and took my right hand and did something I only ever dreamed of doing. I've watched girls do this over and over. I've seen actresses do it and felt a strange longing. I just never, ever thought I would ever be in the same club: I flicked my hair behind my shoulder. "Ta Da!" Are you kidding me? I flicked!! It was better than I ever could have imagined. Ever!!! I can flick!

It has been five years. It never gets old. I love, love, love my hair.

Now don't get me wrong, with all the products they have for frizzy, curly hair, I have now embraced my curls. I've since grown that little mop out and get it styled and highlighted etc.. The days I am curly are fun, bouncy days. My hairdresser says I look beachy with my curls. I love that!

But every couple of weeks, when the mood strikes me and I'm feeling all sassy and in need of a good flick. You bet I'm straight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment